Marginal / Open space is an area protected or conserved on which development is set aside. Keeping an open space all around the periphery of the plot boundary is one of the mandatory directives under DCR. Some of the reasons behind the rule are:
- Easy moment of vehicles & the fire brigade in case of accidents.
- To have lesser harm to man force in case of any natural disaster (Earthquake)
- To have lesser harm to the surrounding industries in case of any accident.
Special Planning Authority (SPA) a body appointed by Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC) to undertake planned and orderly development keeping into consideration of safety , uniformity & smooth running of the industries.
Marginal space / Open space depends on the plot size, regulations regarding height of the building and the distance between the boundary of the plot and the building line. The open space & height as per the plot size are as under:
|Minimum open space from front side||Minimum Marginal
Open Space from other sides
|1||For plots – above
100 Sq.m to
of plot 8 m and
|2.5 m||1.5 m||7.0 m|
|2||Above 300 Sq.m to 500 Sq.m||3 m||3 m||10.0 m|
|For plots at Sr. No.2, height above 10 m. may be permitted provided extra setback of 0.33 m. is provided for every 1 m height beyond 10.0 m
|3||Above 500 Sq. m area up to 800 Sq.m||4 m. or 1/3rd height of building whichever is more.||3m. or 1/3rd height of building whichever is More.||No Restriction|
|4||Above 800 Sq.m to
1200 Sq. m
|4 m. or 1/3rd height of building whichever is more||4 m. or 1/3rd height of building whichever is more||No Restriction|
|5||Above 1200 Sq.m to
2500 Sq. m
|5m. or 1/3rd height of building
whichever is more
|5 m. or 1/3rd height of building whichever is more||No Restriction|
|6||Above 2500 Sq.m to
5000 Sq. m
|9 m. or 1/3rd height of building whichever is more||6 m. or 1/3rd height of building whichever is more||No Restriction|
|7||Above 5000 Sq.m||9 m. or 1/3rd height of building whichever is more||9 m. or 1/3rd height of building whichever is more||No Restriction|
There are certain modification to the set norms:
- For heights of building above 48 m, the marginal space should not exceed 16m.
- If the length or depth of the building exceeds 40m add to above spaces , 10 Percent of length or depth of building minus 4.0m
- Where rooms do not derive light and ventilation from the exterior open space, the width of such exterior open space may be reduced by 1m subject to a minimum of 3m and a Maximum of 8m. No further projections shall be permitted.
- If any interior or exterior open space is intended to be used for the purpose of light and ventilation by more than one building belonging to the same owner, then the width of such open space shall be the one required for the tallest building.
OPEN SPACE IN CASE OF SPECIAL BUILDINGS:
There are changes in the norms of open space in case of special buildings irrespective of plot size:
- Educational and Institutional buildings: The minimum open space, all around the boundary of the plot, to be left and maintained shall be 6 m.
- Assembly buildings such as Cinemas, Theatres and Assembly Hall: Minimum marginal distance from the road side shall be 9 m and 6 m from all other Sides and shall be exclusive of parking spaces to be provided, as per in these regulations
PROJECTIONS IN MARGINAL OPEN SPACES:
For balconies, chajjas, weather sheds, canopies Cornices, sun breaker, revas projection, any ornamental features is permitted to project in the minimum marginal open space from building line to the extent of 0.6m provided the clear height below such projections from ground level is minimum 2.1 m in case of plot size up to 500 Sq.mtrs. in area & In the case of plots above 500 Sq. mtrs in area it is permitted to project in the open space from building line to the extent of 1.5 m but the clear width of the open space shall in no case be less than 3 m for buildings up to 15 m in height, and 4.5 m for buildings above 15 m height.
STRUCTURES PERMISSIBLE IN MARGINAL OPEN SPACES.
For plots up to 5000sqm area the following structures may be permitted in marginal Open space provided that the clear width of open spaces shall in no case be less than as indicated below
I. For industrial sheds / buildings up to 6m height: 4.5m
II.For all other occupancies: 4.5 m up to 15m height & 6.0m for heights more than 15m
- Porch: 1 Number
- Open steps for plinth
- Suction tank & pump room of maximum 2 sqm area: 1 Number
- Generator Set: 1 Number
- Garbage chamber: 1 Number
- Vehicular ramp: 2 Numbers
- Open gantry for loading/ unloading in case of engineering industry: 1 Number
- Effluent Treatment Plant (ETP)
- Open Ramps up to Plinth
- Overhanging cupboards, shelves and niches below window sill up to 0.6m (only in residential buildings)
- Meter Room / Electric Sub-station as per requirement of power supply company
- Open Transformers
- Landscaping features
- Water bodies as landscape feature
- Swimming Pool and Filtration Plant in only residential use
- Telephone distribution equipments
- Fire Hydrants
- Platform around tree up to max 2.0 m dia.
- Fire Escape Staircase as per NBC 2005 as amended from time to time
- Cooling Tower
- Loading/unloading Platform
- Fork lift
i) In case of industrial sheds up to 6m height where the depth of plot is not more than 30 m. the structures/activities permissible in marginal open spaces would be allowed only on one side which does not derive entry to the plot or building and in rear margins provided that a clear width of 1 m for rear margin and 3m .for side margin is maintained between such structures and the plot boundary.
ii) An unsupported canopy not exceeding 5.5 m in length may be permitted in minimum marginal open space provided that the clear height below such canopy from ground level is minimum 5.5 m
iii) All the structures which are permissible in marginal open spaces shall be subject to clearance from the concerned Fire Officer of MIDC.
iv) The structures/activities permissible in marginal open spaces are exempted from computation of FSI provided the total area taken together under all structures and users does not exceed 10% of permissible FSI/Built-up area in the cases of Industrial & commercial uses.
v) Storage of hazardous materials is not permissible in the marginal open spaces.
Feel free to contact for your Industrial Requirement on the given numbers or mail the query and requirement on email@example.com. We assure you the best of the services.
ASCENT SUPPLY CHAIN CONSULTANTS PVT. LTD.
406, Raheja Arcade, Sector – 11, CBD Belapur, Navi Mumbai –400 614
Tel: + 91- 22 – 67214444 / 4545 • Fax: + 91- 22 – 27565209
Mob:Ms. Daljeet 9833834428 Or Ms. Vanita 09833834482
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org • Web: www.ascconline.com
Compiled By:- Daljeet Kaur Saluja
Manager – Sales
ASCC Pvt. Ltd.